Thursday, October 11, 2007

Happy (belated) Canadian Thanksgiving

I don't know if you folks south of the 49th parallel were aware, but Monday we Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving. Our friend Aaron Bandstra's parents invited us to their home for a full-on turkey dinner.



I made some Milana Thistlethwaite-style Brussels sprouts. In my opinion this is the only way to cook Brussels sprouts: cut sprouts in half, saute in olive oil, combine with toasted pine nuts, yum.





Andrew made a sweet potato dish, featuring large amounts of butter and brown sugar, double yum!





Noah, our godson, slept through dinner...



but was awake for dessert!




I am so very thankful for my sister, who was able to come up to Vancouver from Seattle. I am also thankful for little Dutch chocolate sprinkles for sprinkling on my buttered toast!

1 comment:

benjamin said...

hey jess,

it looks like you guys had an amazing canadian thanksgiving. now quickly to the matter at hand...

i stumbled across orion magazine from caren's blog earlier today and found an short story by david james duncan. i remember you recommended to me 'the brothers k' several years back. i actually went out and bought it, but i never read it, and it got washed away in the storm. i'd completely forgotten about it until now. the short story is one of three alternate endings he wrote for the brothers k. after reading this, i'll certainly be finding the book again.

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/338

much love, and thanks.

-ben